Friday, June 25, 2010

Let Us Go Up To Jerusalem

"Behold...we are going up to Jerusalem". These were the words of our Savior to the disciples in Luke 18. Jesus' arrival in Jerusalem represented the culmination of His ministry here on earth. For it was in this city where He made the ultimate sacrifice for you and I on the cross. While we cannot compare the culmination of this week's work to that of Jesus' ministry, in many ways our work here on earth must continue until we meet our Him face-to-face. Thursday was our last day in the field, and this day typically is designed to complete any last minute discipleship that needs to be done, and to say our goodbyes to the precious brothers and sisters in Christ. This is always an emotional experience, because of the bonds that have been form during God's work this week. Thursday night was the victory rally, where we celebrated everything that the Lord has accomplished during the week. As the church planter (servant leader) for this trip, it is tradition that I deliver God's message at the closing rally. As an added blessing from God, I was asked to dedicate the child of one of the local pastors to the Lord. I was humbled, as I was nervous that I would not have the words to effectively present this child to God for dedication. After several hours of prayer, the Lord presented me with just the right words, at just the right time. His timing is perfect!! It was a beautiful dedication, and this little 3 month old girl reminded me so much of when my daughter, Sarah Katherine was dedicated. It brought tears to my eyes. After the baby dedication, I lead into the closing sermon. I spoke about when Jesus asked Peter 3 times, "Do you love me", and each time Peter answered, "You know I love you". Then Jesus said, "Feed My Sheep". The Lord presented a powerful message that could have only come from Him. At the end of the message, I invited each pastor onto the platform, and asked each of them 3 times individually, "Do you love our Savior". Each time they boldly shout, "Yes, with all of my heart"!! I then presented them with the names and addresses of the people who received Christ this week, and then stated, "Feed His Sheep". It was a very touching display of their dedication to discipleship in this community. The Lord has done a mighty work in Sullana this week. We saw 160 gospel presentations this week. Of those gospel presentations, 100 people prayed to receive Christ. We saw 107 adults attend our evening cell group meetings, and a blessing of 211 children attend the children's evening meeting. In total 5 new churches were born this week throughout the community of Sullana. GLORY TO GOD!!!!

After the victory rally, I met with our team of North Americans and thanked them for allowing themselves to be vessels for the Lord this week. I end the formal part of our trip by telling them that God's work does not end here, but that we must and we will continue His work until the day of salvation. I closed by repeating the words of Lord, "Behold.....Let us go up to Jerusalem."

No comments:

Post a Comment